The Alburgh Library was born in the 1800′s with state support. It became the Alburgh Village Library Association in the early 1900′s and moved from private homes to church basements, to a railway depot. Approx. 50 years ago a local benefactor donated land to the town for a library, and this is the site of the present library. In 1989, the library began to grow from a catch-as-catch-can operation (with donated books) to a full service municipal library supported by public funds.
Alburgh is the northwestern gateway to Vermont, located in the Champlain Islands chain, bordering Canada on the north and connected to Vermont and New York by bridges.
The Library actively serves patrons from Quebec, New York State, as well as from the neighboring island and West Swanton, and not to mention our own community.
The library currently serves over 1800 regisistered patrons yearly.